Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Group presentations

Today is the last full day in Japan. Everyone shows mixed emotions. We are missing our families, but so want to stay. There are still Tokyo neighborhoods to explore, and areas of Japan calling out to us. Group presentations are the itinerary for today. Each group has 15 minutes to present on any topic they wish relating to our experiences in Japan. Most groups us slide shows to share their favorite pictures. Every group is very creative in their method of presentation.

The Katori group, which is me, was a very serious presentation. The beginning did not start out serious. Scott, acting as Inoh Tadataka the map maker, introduced Katori City as if he was presenting in Kyogen Theater. Scott did a great job and was so funny. Then each of us went on stage to share a wish that we had based on a personal experience in the past two weeks. We had written our wish on a card with love and friendship written in calligraphy by the Elementary Principal. Then we tied the card on a frame to look like the ones we saw at the shrines and temples for tying Gomasticks.

My wish was as follows; “I experienced the feelings of illiteracy. I found shopping for snack foods was extremely difficult when you cannot read the signs and labels or successfully ask for directions. My wish is we all understand the daily realities of students with reading difficulties or people with limited English skills.”

After I finished the crowd started clapping. I hadn’t thought about whether this statement would impact others, I had only thought about how I felt while trying to shop at the supermarket. Many of the other people in my group had very serious statements like mine. All very emotional and some bringing us to tears with happy memories.

The other groups presented. Every presentation unique and very heartfelt. The last day was over. All that was left was the Sayonara Buffet this evening.

No comments: