Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Welcome Reception

The Welcome Reception was a Japanese Banquet serving traditional Japanese foods. The food was wonderful, but I was still so nervous after giving my speech I had a hard time eating. I should have enjoyed the food because my speech was over and went very well.

First Davide Satterwhite, Executive Director, The Japan-United States Educational Commission (JUSEC), gave the opening remarks. Next Welcome Remarks were given by Kiso Isao, Director-General for International Affairs, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) Chair, The Japan-United States Educational Commission. Then Ronald Post, Minister-Counselor for Public Affairs, American Embassy, Tokyo Member, The Japan-United States Educational Commission addressed the group.

Finally it was my turn to present "Greetings by Representative of 160 American Educators, Karen Kelly, Scales Mound High School, Scales Mound, IL". I was very nervous as I approached the stage. I knew I had to use my notes, even though others did not. But I would not be able to remember what I wanted to say, even though I had practice many times before coming to the reception.

"I was asked to speak this evening on behalf of the educators awarded the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund grant. I was humbled to be given such an important task. Then I panicked, how can I express the feelings of 159 people I have never met. When the list serve started, I read email after email, realizing everyone was feeling the same emotions that I felt; humbled overwhelmed with gratitude, and honored. The excitement and anticipation could be felt in every email.

Most of us have never visited Japan, many of us have not traveled overseas, and some of us have yet to see all 50 of our states. And now we are here in Tokyo due to the generosity of the Government and citizens of Japan.

Words cannot truly express our sincere gratitude for providing us this special opportunity. As Consul General in San Francisco stated at Sunday's reception; 'we will feel, taste, and touch Japan'.

Asking us to be a guest in your country has touched each of us personally and we look forward to feeling and tasting all aspects of your country.

After spending a few days with this wonderful group of people I feel comfortable now saying thank you on behalf of the United States Teachers for sharing your country with us. You generosity has provided each of us the opportunity to grow personally and professionally. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your committment to the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund program. Thank you"

After I spoke Ginko Sato, President Emeritus, Japan Association for the Advancement of Working Women, Former Ambassador of Kenya gave a toast. "Kanpai!" Then it was time to eat.

I had a hard time eating because I kept getting interrupted by people thanking me for representing them in the speech. For days after the reception when I met someone new they would say "you were the one that gave the speech at the Welcome Reception". Then state how wonderful it was.

With the end of the reception it was the closing of another perfect day in Japan!

I ended my day by calling home using the Skype web program. It was 9:30 p.m. in Tokyo and 7:30 a.m. in Illinois. It was great to tell everyone at home my speech went well.

No comments: