Sunday, June 8, 2008

Today - Off to San Francisco

Up early, leave at 2:45 a.m., only a few hours of sleep. Oh well, I will catch up on the plane.

We arrived at Cedar Rapids Municipal Airport at 5 a.m. with plenty of time to check in and then get a cup of coffee. My suitcase was 2 1/2 pounds over weight. I took out two pairs of shoes and stuffed them in my already overpacked carry on. I hate to leave shoes behind. What if a pair gets wet or my feet get a blister? What if a pair falls apart? I understand finding a pair of women's 9 1/2 shoes is difficult in Japan.

Plane leaves on time. Good bye is hard, yet I am ready for my adventure to begin. Flight to Chicago quick. A little boy sitting next to me chatters the entire flight. He can't believe I am going to Japan. I tell him I can't believe it either. His response to me "lady, your name is on the ticket".

I found the gate in Chicago with no problem. There are already a bunch of people gathered with their name tags on and signs saying they are headed to Japan with the JFMF program. People are chatting and becoming friends and we haven't even left the states yet.

The flight to San Francisco was uneventful. We landed and easily found the JFMF staff to take us by bus to the hotel. We had orientation this afternoon and a dinner reception at the Official Residence of Japanese Consul General Yasumasa Hagamine this evening. This was our first official Japanese function and my first time eating Japanese food. I think I am going to like sushi!

Tomorrow I must be ready at 8:00 a.m. to depart for San Francisco International Airport for my flight to Tokyo that leaves at 11:25 a.m. I still have not found time to catch up on lost sleep. The flight to Tokyo is 9 hours. That should give me some extra sleep time. I have a feeling I will not catch up on my sleep until I get home.

Wow! This is really happening. I am really with a group of 160 teachers traveling together to spend 19 days in Japan.

No comments: